I have a confession to make: I am not a morning person – never have been and probably never will. Most of us don’t have a lot of time in the mornings, so here are some tips to start your day calm and relaxed when you don’t have time to fit in a morning yoga class:
- Get Some Sun: Wouldn’t you love to be awoken soothingly by a gradual brightening of your bedroom and have a gentle ray of sunshine warm you face? Ok, you’re thinking, how do I experience that every morning in Vancouver? You can’t. But, take advantage of the mornings that do provide you with sun. Step out onto your deck or patio, close your eyes and feel the warmth of the sun on your face. Be present in the moment, be still, relax, and feel gratitude for this rare occasion.
- Get Some Fresh-Air: Open your window take a long, deep breath of fresh, crisp morning air. Feel your lungs expand while you nourish your body with oxygen.
- Take A Moment Of Peace: Take some time to experience your own personal moment of silence. Before you reach for your iPhone to check your emails, before you go wake up your kids, before you say good morning to your partner, take time to just “be” – don’t do anything or think of anything but focus on your breathing: This will calm your mind and body.
- Read A Positive Quote: This could be an inspiring piece of advice from friends or family members, or quotes you have collected from literature. Keep them by your bedside table, or on a sticky-note attached to your bathroom mirror. Say them out loud, or to yourself, to positively affirm your intentions for the day.
- Drink Warm Water With Lemon: Most of us are addicted to some form of caffeine – either tea or coffee. Try drinking a warm cup of water with fresh-squeezed lemon as an alternative morning beverage. This powerful concoction provides you with a shot of vitamin C and stimulates your digestive tract. It is also an alkalizing drink, helping to wake-up your liver and aiding in flushing your systems of toxins.
Now you’re ready to start your day calm, relaxed and ready to take on the world!