I’ve heard a LOT of talk over the last little while that “Yoga Pants are Not Pants!” From newspaper articles, word of mouth, to even a pol on Virgin Radio a couple of weeks ago. While yoga pants, specifically lululemon branded ones, seem to be the staple in the yoga community around Vancouver, there seems to be a lot of huffing & puffing about whether or not yoga pants should be worn out in public.
Whether you want to call yoga pants and all the accessories, tanks and hoodies as part of the fashion industry or not, there are certainly enough styles and colours and fabrics to enter them into this category, as I’m sure all the designers who make these items would agree.
So being the devils advocate that I am, I’ve compiled a list of 3 Places to NOT where Yoga Pants and 3 Reasons Yoga Pants are Pants!
3 Reasons Yoga Pants ARE Pants;
- Well, let’s just say – They are PANTS!
- They are more cleverly designed than a pair of sweat pants from the 80’s with the elastic ankles.
- They are available in multiple colours, fabrics and styles and there is something for everybody from straightlegged to tights to capris.
While the argument can be construed that they are great if you are going to or coming from yoga they aren’t meant to be worn everywhere. Sure, but in reality how are most yoga pants different from regular pants? Form fitting? Yes, but so are tights or pencil skirts for that matter.
But realistically, there is a time and a place for everything! While I will admit, I do wear yoga pants A LOT, as tights or in the summer as capri”s, they are multi functional when I want to run in & take a class, I don’t need to go home and change first. But there are places that we really don’t need to see the lululemon logo!
3 Places to NOT Wear Yoga Pants;
- Funerals – Take the extra 5 minutes and put on a pair of slacks that will make you come off as being a little bit more modest, especially if you are in a church.
- Weddings – Unless the wedding involves a yoga class they are probably way too casual to pull off at a wedding.
- Job Interview and maybe the job depending of course what it is, if you work in a business office downtown, the lulu’s won’t fly!
While I’m sure there are the lover’s and the haters out there on where they should and shouldn’t be worn, but my vote is in; Yoga Pants are Pants! What do you think?